secrets revealed: the creation of exciting new lockdown series

Last month you will have seen the first part in this behind the scenes look at my new lockdown series. Today I wanted to share with you a couple more in this series and show you how they were created.

Lockdown – depression

This was a tricky image to create. The image needed to be out of proportion to give the impression that the room was too small. I wanted to create a sense of claustrophobia and feeling trapped.

The walls are closing in! This lockdown inspired photograph shows a woman sat on the floor with the walls and ceiling closing in on her.

It actually took me a couple of attempts to get this image to look right. To start with I had a photo of my hallway. I was just going to shrink the walls. It was harder than I imagined! I kept getting my perspectives wrong.

A photograph of my hallway to use as a background to Lockdown - depression

So after a lot of fiddling around, I eventually decided to draw myself a perspective grid, and then infill the walls, ceiling and floor with photos of textures I had in my library. This worked much better!

Reconstructed room, using perspective lines and texture photographs to build a room for my lockdown series

Once I had created my room the rest fell into place relatively easily.

Lockdown – Acceptance

For this image, I photographed a section of my bookshelf. The idea from this came from rediscovering my love for reading. Like everyone – I lead a busy life. Over the last few years, I have not found time to just sit and read a book. With the pace of life slowing down so dramatically during the lockdown, I found the time to read again. I had a long list of books I wanted to read, and finally could take the time to do it without feeling like I should be doing something else!

Strange fine art photograph of a person appearing from some books. created during the 2020 lockdown

On the whole, this image was fairly easy to create. I took a photo of the books, and then one of myself and merged them together in photoshop. I enhanced my eye colour to make my portrait more noticeable.

The biggest problem I had was having that nagging feeling something was missing! Eventually I decided it needed more texture in the upper section of the image. For this I used an image of some clouds I had in my library, and blended it using overlay mode. I changed the colour and vibrancy too. Once in place I masked out parts of the photo that were covering up the books.

Photograph of clouds used as a texture in my new lockdown series.

Buy prints of my new lockdown series

All my images are available to buy as fine art prints over in my shop. Head over there now to see what wall art you like.

Buy Prints

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: